A salary slip or payslip is a document containing a detailed list of the various components of your salary along with specific details of employment. Ideally, a payslip pdf must contain a company logo along with the company name and address.
A salary slip is only available to salaried employees and your employer is responsible for providing you a copy of your payslip every month. Some smaller companies might not regularly provide a salary slip and in such cases, you can ask your employer for a Salary Certificate. While most employers provide digital payslips, others might provide physical copies of the same. here are the details of how to make a payslip
Components of a Salary Slip
- Basic Salary: This comprises 35% to 40% of your salary, thus it is perhaps the most important component of salary. It also serves as a basis for determining the other components of the salary.
- Dearness Allowance (DA): Calculated as % of your basic pay, DA is given to offset the impact of inflation. It is completely taxable and needs to be declared in ITR filing. This pay slip component typically features in the case of government employees.
- House Rent Allowance (HRA): It is an allowance to help people pay their house rent. The amount of HRA depends on the location and ranges between 40%-50% of basic pay. You can claim a part of the HRA as a tax deduction, provided you live in a rented house as per Section 10 of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Performance & Special Allowance: This is given to the employees for their better performance. This component is completely taxable.
- Other Allowances: This comprises the various additional allowances paid by an employer for any reason. An employer may categorize such allowances under a specific head or group them as “Other Allowances”.
- Employees Provident Fund (EPF): This comprises a compulsory deduction in your salary slip. This is at least 12% of the basic salary and for an EPF account. The contribution towards the EPF is exempted from tax, as per the 80C of Income Tax Act.
- Professional Tax: This pay slip component is levied on all individuals, including the salaried, professionals and traders who have an income. It is levied in some states only and calculated on the basis of an individual’s tax slab.
- Tax Deductible at Source (TDS): It refers to the amount of tax deducted by your employer on behalf of the Income Tax department. You can reduce TDS by investing in tax-saving schemes and submitting the appropriate documents to your employer.
Salary Slip important
- Income Tax Planning: Your salary contains various components such as Basic, HRA, transport allowance, medical allowance, leave travel allowance, etc. that might have different tax treatments. Knowing the value of separate components can form the basis for maximizing your income tax savings for the applicable financial year.
- Proof of employment: This document serves as legal proof of employment. While applying for a visa or to executive programs at various universities, you may have to submit copies of your payslip, as a proof of your last drawn salary and designation.
- To avail loans/ credit card: Your payslip contains details of your monthly income which is a key factor that determines your ability to meet your debt obligations. Thus, your salary slip is important while applying for the credit cards, loans, mortgage, and other borrowings.
- For seeking further employment: Knowledge about the various components of your salary slip can help you assess other job offers. Moreover, it forms the basis of salary negotiations when applying for a new job.
Format of Salary Slip
- Company name, logo and address, Salary Slip month and year
- Employee Name, Employee Code, Designation, Department
- Employee PAN/Adhara, Bank Account Number
- EPF Account Number, UAN (Universal Account Number)
- Total Work Days, Effective Work Days, Number of Leaves
- Itemized list of Earnings and Deductions
- Gross Pay and Net Pay in numbers as well as words
So this the complete information for how to make a payslip and remember always delivered in pay slip pdf.
Thank you for visiting my page, hope you like the page helpful, Please share the knowledge with your friends and family too
You might like the pages Office Exercises – Desk Workout